Excel Dashboard Course Giveaway
Are you an Excel Dashboard pro? If not, here's a great opportunity to improve your skills. I'm having a giveaway, and a terrific new Excel dashboard course is the top prize. There are runner up prizes too, and a free video series.
Getting Started with Excel Dashboards
I'm sure that you've heard about Excel Dashboards before, and maybe you've made a previous attempt at building one. If that didn't go too well, here's some help to get you started.
Jordan Goldmeier, from Excel TV, is running a free series on Excel Dashboards. There are 3 short videos in the series:
- 3 Awesome Benefits of Building Dashboards With Excel
- 5 Rookie Dashboard Mistakes That Even the Experts Miss
- Excel Dashboard Questions Answered
These videos will give you a good introduction to dashboards, and great tips for building them. They'll also help you decide whether to invest in the full Excel Dashboard course.
Excel Dashboard Pro Course
The full Excel Dashboard course will be available on January 28, 2017. Jordan gave me preview access to the course, so that I could take a look, before recommending it to you.
I didn't have enough time to go through the entire course, so I watched a few videos, from different sections of the course, to get an overview.
- The videos were of consistent high quality, for content, presentation, and production. Jordan explained things clearly, and used graphics and demo videos that made it easy to follow along.
- The course layout was easy to navigate, with video links on the main page, and sidebar links on the lesson pages.
- There are sample files to download, so you can follow along with the lessons, or use them for practice later.
- There are quizzes too, so you can test yourself, to see how you're doing. If you don't do well on a quiz, you could review the videos in that section, to reinforce those lessons.
The Course Content
It's obvious that hundreds of hours of preparation have gone into the course materials, to ensure that you'll get top quality content. There are over 60 lessons, grouped into 16 sections.
- The course starts with a Dashboard Primer, that looks at why you should make dashboards, and the benefits of using built-in Excel tools to create them.
- Next, you'll learn how to "think like a dashboard pro", and then dig into some key Excel functions and formula tips.
- See how to use Excel Tables to organize your data, and add form controls to the worksheet, to make things interactive
- After that, you build interactive charts and dashboards, and explore the differences between data visualization and infographics.
Why I Liked the Excel Dashboard Pro Course
In addition to the excellent content, there are a few other reasons that I liked this course, and agreed to recommend it:
- Excel focus – Jordan shows how to make the most of the built-in Excel features. You don't need Power BI, or any other additional tools
- Lifetime Access – There's no need to rush through the course, before your membership runs out. You can go back any time, and review the lessons, or download the sample files.
- Get Help – There is a Comments section in each lesson, so you can ask questions if you need help.
- Self Pacing – The videos are short, so you can absorb the material in small chunks. When you're comfortable with one lesson, move on to the next. You can even jump ahead if you want to, and go to a topic that you can't wait to watch!
That's what I did, when reviewing the course – I clicked on the topics that looked most interesting (too many to choose from!) Even though I've built many Excel dashboards, there were still lots of tips and tricks that I found useful, and will add to my repertoire. (That's a fancy way of saying, "Oh, I'm totally stealing that!")
Enter the Excel Dashboard Course Giveaway
Now, the important question -- how can you enter this giveaway, for a chance to win a free registration for the Excel Dashboard Pro course?
Here's your challenge:
- Imagine that you're working on an Excel dashboard, and you run into trouble. What unique hashtag could you use on Twitter, to call for help? For example, #exceldashboardhelp
- Make your hashtag serious or funny, long or short, but make it unique! Don't copy a hashtag that someone else already used.
- Read the rules below, and then share your hashtag in the comments.
Jordan Goldmeier (Excel TV) will make a random draw from all the valid entries in the comments (based on the rules outlined above).
- The first name selected will receive the grand prize of free registration in the Excel Dashboard Pro course that opens on January 28, 2017.
Runner Up Prizes
Jordan will randomly select 2 additional names from the remaining valid entries, for the following prize:
- Digital copy of The Excel Power User's Starter Kit: Vol 1, by Szilvia Juhasz (XSzil), published by Excel TV.
From the remaining valid entries, I'll select my 2 favourite hashtags, as additional runners up. They'll get this prize:
The Excel Dashboard Course Giveaway Rules
- To enter, submit an original (and suitable for work!) comment below, with a hashtag that you could use to get help with an Excel dashboard
- Comments must be submitted before the deadline:
Tuesday, Jan 31, 2017, at 4PM, Toronto time (Eastern Standard Time)
- One entry per person – any additional entries will not be included in the random draw, and will not be considered for the "favourite hashtag" prize
- Winners will be selected as described in the Prizes section. No substitution of prizes.
- Winners will be notified by email, so please provide a valid email address. This will not be publicly visible, but will be shared with the contest sponsors (Excel TV), so they can contact prize winners to arrange delivery.
- Each winner will have 24 hours to claim the prize, after the emails are sent. If not claimed, another name will be selected.