Excel Roundup 20150126
Here is a short video, by Dennis Taylor from Lynda.com, that shows some keyboard shortcuts for formatting on a worksheet. For example:
- Ctrl + Shift + – (hyphen) to remove borders in selected cells
- Ctrl +5 to change text to Strikethrough
He also shows how to use the ISFORMULA function, new in Excel 2013, with conditional formatting, to dynamically highlight cells that contain formulas. You can get written instructions for that technique on my website.
Here’s what I posted recently:
- Use Microsoft’s Power Query add-in to combine data from 2 worksheets
- For a humorous peek at what other people are saying about spreadsheets, read the latest collection of Excel tweets, on my Excel Theatre blog.
Other Excel Articles
Here are a few of the Excel articles that I read recently, that you might find useful.
- Mary Ann Richardson shows how to use the WORKDAY function to calculate a delivery date..
- Oz du Soleil is tired of people comparing R and Excel, and bashing our favourite spreadsheet.
- XOR LX shows how to sort a list alphabetically, by using formulas.
- Jordan Goldmeier thinks we make our Excel workbooks more complex than they need to be.
- Power Query was updated in January, and Microsoft’s Excel team outlines the improvements that were made..
- In his latest podcast, Chandoo figures out how to write business logic and rules in Excel formulas.
- Nitin Mehta created a User Defined Formula to do a lookup to the right or left. You can download the add-in, and look at the code.
- Ken Puls explains an easy way to reference other Power Query queries, when working on a new query.
Here are some upcoming events, courses, recently published books, and other new items, related to Excel.
- Mynda Treacy is running another session of her acclaimed Excel Dashboard Course, and registration closes January 29th. I reviewed this excellent dashboard course when it first opened, and recently updated my review, after taking a look at the latest version. You can read my detailed review here. The course is an even better investment now, with many new videos added.
PASS BA Marathon
- Feb. 3, 2015 — Sign up now, for this free online preview of the upcoming Business Analytics Conference. There will be 6 live webinars, including “Productivity Revolution in Excel”, led by Chandoo (Purna Duggirala) and Avi Singh.
- Amsterdam Excel Summit, April 13-15, 2015. Mark your calendar for April 13-15, so you can attend this amazing Excel event. Last year’s summit was an outstanding success, and registration will open soon, for this year’s event. Registration is now open, and you can click here to register.
Share Your Events and Articles
If you read or wrote any other interesting Excel articles recently, or have upcoming Excel events, please let me know. Thanks!
Links to Recent Excel Books on Amazon.com