Keep Numbers Aligned When Zooming
Who knew that this would still be a problem in Excel 2013? Almost 4 years ago, I posted about numbers not lining up, when Excel was zoomed to less than 80%
Now I’m working on a new laptop, and realized that the problem is back. In Excel 2013, I’m using the default font – Calibri 11. Here’s a list of numbers, at 80% zoom.
And here is the same list at 72% zoom – the numbers have changed to a proportional font, and the 1111111s are much narrower than the 8888888s.
Change the Registry
To fix the problem, I followed the instructions that I posted in April 2009, when I was setting up my previous laptop. Here they are again, with adjustments for Windows 8 and Office 2013. The original instructions came from this MSKB article:
This is really a fix for a Euro symbol display problem, but it also fixes the proportional font display.
Here's what I did for Win8 and Excel 15:
- Make a backup copy of the registry before you tweak any settings
- Quit any programs that are running.
- Press the Window key and R, to open the Run window.
- In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate, and then click to select the following registry key:
- With the Options key selected, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Type FontSub, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click FontSub, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 0. Since the value is zero, it doesn’t matter which Base you select – I left it on Hexadecimal.
- Click OK to close the Edit DWORD window
- On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
- Start Excel, and the numbers should line up correctly, eve when zoomed.