Use Excel COUNTIFS to Count With Multiple Criteria

In Excel 2007 and Excel 2010, you can use the new COUNTIFS function to count, based on multiple criteria. For example, in a list of orders, you can find out how many orders were for pens, and had a quantity of 10 or more.

countifs01

I have updated the Contextures COUNT Functions page, to include a COUNTIFS example, and video demo. If you are using Excel 2003, or earlier versions, you can use the SUMPRODUCT function instead. There is an example for that function on the COUNT page too.

Watch the COUNTIFS Video

To see the steps for using the COUNTIFS function, you can watch this short Excel video tutorial.

_________

1. m-b says:

What new features does Excel 20007 have? Sorry couldn’t resist :-)

2. Seth says:

I need to pull out a multiple criteria from a list of 3,000 companies & individuals. I have used the function =IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A2,{“*Dr.*”,”*Drs.*”,”*Dr *”,”*Drs*”}))>0,”Yes”,”No”) to pull out Doctors. In the function I leave a space after “*Dr *”, so that the results do not include words like “Drive”etc.

I used the FIND function to pull out individuals(“,”,A2:A3000,1). I use the results from 1-14 in the FIND function to find the individuals. The individuals in the list always have a common after their last name so the find function works.

How do I combine the two functions to produce the results in one column.

3. Jason D says:

Excellent. This saved me an hour of work.
    Thank you!

4. sumit says:

this is a good video for countifs function

5. Haitham says:

Dear,
    It will already appreciated if u help me in doing contifs function with three columns one of them with two text criteria.

Many thanks in advance

6. Rambabu Jalli says:

Thanks for an excellent video!

7. Charles says:

How do I sum up an A, D, and T when using =countif

8. Harshit D Jhaveri says:

This helped me get out of a jam. Thank you!! I learnt the Sumifs function as a corollary to the Countifs function. Thank you, Debra

9. Dee says:

How do I count a column of text with a criteria of dates, for example column A list Calls A B C and col B list the dates how do I get the count for all A calls in the month of October. The dates are 10/1/2013 etc…

10. Robert Manning says:

I’m counting the occurrence of multiple string values in a range. This works:

=COUNTIF(RiskRegister!T10:T64,”1A”)+COUNTIF(RiskRegister!T10:T64,”1B”)+COUNTIF(RiskRegister!T10:T64,”1C”)+COUNTIF(RiskRegister!T10:T64,”1D”)+COUNTIF(RiskRegister!T10:T64,”2A”)+COUNTIF(RiskRegister!T10:T64,”2B”)+COUNTIF(RiskRegister!T10:T64,”3A”)

However, I must first check and make sure that I’m only checking the rows that match the project number selected in another tab. For example:

=COUNTIFS(RiskRegister!D10:D64,KPIs!B2

My problem is that I’m not sure how to combine these two.

Thanks for any help,

Bob

• BOBL says:

Help me with a formular,in one formular from a large spread sheet, to find how many times text appear in a column where there are 10 separate text values and I would like to count the number of times each appears in that column in as simple a formular as possible without using a pivot table. I appreciate the help from you.I am business man and don’t have the time to learn advanced excel.

11. Benelin says:

Items price

pen 2
    pencil 5
    Book 7
    pen 11
    pencil 3
    pen 12
    bag 1
    pen 23

In the above table help me to write an excel formula to find out how many pen are there with price greater than 11 but less than 20.Thanks in advance.

12. Laura @ House of Clydesdale says:

This is a excellent tutorial, thank you!

13. Jill says:

Thank you so much for posting this video!

I am working on a troubleshooting spreadsheet and needed to know how many cases were troubleshooting (as vs. billing) and then of which type. This will save me a ton of headaches.

14. manjunath.raju says:

good

15. Mermaid says:

In Excel, can I include a range of dates in a formula? For Example, (Sept.3 through Dec.21) as 1st quarter?

16. ATISH MEHER says:

please send me all data

17. Octavio Lopez says:

Hi, could anyone help me trying to work out a way to avoid using Countifs in the following way:

=COUNTIFS(s!$A:$A,D$1&”*”,s!$G:$G,”9318018109402″,s!$Q:$Q,”>=0″)
    +COUNTIFS(s!$A:$A,D$1&”*”,s!$G:$G,”9318018118763″,s!$Q:$Q,”>=0″)
    +COUNTIFS(s!$A:$A,D$1&”*”,s!$G:$G,”9318018118749″,s!$Q:$Q,”>=0″)
    +COUNTIFS(s!$A:$A,D$1&”*”,s!$G:$G,”9318018118725″,s!$Q:$Q,”>=0″)
    +COUNTIFS(s!$A:$A,D$1&”*”,s!$G:$G,”9318018118756″,s!$Q:$Q,”>=0″)
    +COUNTIFS(s!$A:$A,D$1&”*”,s!$G:$G,”9318018118787″,s!$Q:$Q,”>=0″)
    Huge etcetera…

Basically I get those barcodes from column G in a tab called “S” and each week I need to add new barcodes to the formula but adding a new line is not ideal as I will potentially reach the limit of characters that can be used per formula per cell. My question is, could I possibly combine Countifs with vlookup or get Countifs to get those barcodes from a specified range of cells where I could easily dump more barcodes?

Thanks heaps in advance!