Create a Desktop Shortcut To Open Files Quickly
While working at a client’s office, I sometimes create an Excel workbook that a user will enter data in every day. To make it easy to open the workbook, I add a shortcut to the user’s desktop (with their permission, of course). This makes it easy for the user to open the file, without trying to remember where it’s saved.
To quickly create a shortcut:
- Open Windows Explorer
- Select the folder that contains the Excel workbook
- Right-click on the Excel file
- In the popup menu, click Send To
- Click Desktop (create Shortcut)
- Close Windows Explorer.
A shortcut appears on the desktop, and you can move it to the spot where you want to store it.
To rename the shortcut
- Click on the shortcut to select it
- Press the F2 key on the keyboard, to select the name
- Type a new name and press Enter.